Saturday, April 16, 2011

St. Anton, Austria

Dan and I took our second Frankfurt Ski Club trip of the year the first weekend of April.  This time we headed to St. Anton am Arlberg, Austria, a world famous ski resort in the Tyrolean Alps.  After a week or so of gorgeous spring weather in Wiesbaden, I thought we were completely nuts for heading towards snow and cold temperatures.  Unfortunately for the skiers (but lucky for me), it was just as beautiful in Austria!  This meant less-than-ideal conditions for skiing and snowboarding, and it also meant that I should have packed t-shirts instead of snow boots and hand warmers!

IMG_1683

I spent the mornings at the local gym and wandering around the pedestrian zone while Dan snowboarded on what little snow St. Anton had.  We then met up with the rest of the ski club at the Krazy Kanguruh, an après ski bar in the mountains with a sun terrace and a great view. 

Perhaps the craziest thing to happen all weekend came around 7pm on Friday evening when we realized we had missed the last bus down the mountain and into town after dancing the afternoon away at the bar.  Not a problem for most, who can just ski down, but as far as I could see I was stuck!  My attempt to sled down on Dan’s snowboard failed horribly; I only made it about 10 feet before I went flying off. IMG_1758  So after lots of protesting from me, Dan threw me over his shoulder and snowboarded the rest of the way down while I screamed and laughed and prayed he didn’t fall.  Fortunately, Dan has some serious skills (and strength and coordination and balance), and we made it down in one piece.  I was completely terrified but now I know why Dan loves to snowboard so much – what a rush!!  Dan was met with applause at the bottom, and it was well deserved!

On our last day we went up to Valluga, the highest point in the Arlberg region.  The view was incredible, nothing but snow-capped mountains in every direction.  We could even see the highest point in Germany from there.

IMG_1843We had a great trip and hope to go back next year when the weather is colder and the snow is deeper!

IMG_1854

No comments:

Post a Comment